Thursday, April 3, 2014

People who study Buddhism 
Should seek real, true 
Perception and understanding for now.
If you attain real, true 
Perception and understanding,
Birth and death don't affect you;
You are free to go or stay.
You needn't seek wonders,
For wonders come of themselves. 
                  - Linji (d. 867?)

Finding time to study Buddhism can be a challenge. My days fill up so easily. The intention of studying remains strong. My plan to sit and study later in the day becomes a week and eventually a month. I become resentful about the importance of study. How easy it is to rationalize my management of time so that my priorities of obligations and self care simply make it impossible to carve out time for sitting. I wish I could write something here about a discovery and an amazing change to all this. It wouldn't be true. The importance of study can easily overshadow the act of study. When I take a precious moment and pay attention to an in-breath I have a better chance  to attain real and true perception and understanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The bird’s path, winding far, Is right before you.   Water of the Dokei Gorge, You return to the ocean, I to the mountain. - Hof...