Friday, April 11, 2014


Attain the center of emptiness,
Preserve the utmost quiet; 
As myriad things act in concert, 
I thereby observe the return. 
Things flourish, 
Then each returns to its root. 
Returning to the root
Is called stillness: 
Stillness is called return to Life, 
Return to Life is called the constant; 
Knowing the constant is called enlightenment. 
                                              - Tao-te Ching (courtesy of dailyzen.com)
I am mesmerized by this passage. The connection between returning to the root and enlightenment is a luminous path for me. When the days get very busy and hectic. When I have countless concerns and worries I need to pause long enough to discern the path I am on. That is not so easy. It is almost as if I hold on to all those worries like they are precious possessions that belong to me and no one else. Letting go seems too easy and seems close to denial. My worries are legitimate and the possibility of horrible things happening is valid. Then I read this passage and it opens the eyes of my heart to the background of all my thoughts. Stillness becomes a refuge for me to return to life. And I know that I can return as many times as I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The bird’s path, winding far, Is right before you.   Water of the Dokei Gorge, You return to the ocean, I to the mountain. - Hof...