Sunday, April 20, 2014

”If you knew me as well as you know yourself, you would not have killed me.” These words are inscribed on every genocide memorial in Rwanda. It was an honor to have been a part of Bernie Glassman's Bearing Witness Retreat in Rwanda. Sitting next to the mass graves in deep silence opened my heart and mind to “not knowing” and allowed me to listen fully to the stories of survivors and perpetrators. Their stories are my stories, their stories are our stories. The connection to the people of that remote part of the world was as natural and real as any family member or friend here in the States. The people in Zen Peacemakers carved out a safe space for all of us to step into the darkest of the dark and find the light of reconciliation and renewal. I will be forever grateful to them and my new friends in Rwanda for this profound and illuminating experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The bird’s path, winding far, Is right before you.   Water of the Dokei Gorge, You return to the ocean, I to the mountain. - Hof...