Sunday, June 1, 2014

When the master 
Without a word raises his eyebrows
The posts and rafters
The cross beams and roof tree
Begin to smile
There is another place for conversing
Heart to heart
The full moon and the breeze
At the half-open window. 
                                 - Muso Soseki (1275-1351). courtesy of dailyzen.com 

I can still bring up moments when a teacher or a supervisor told me they were pleased with my work. There is a real challenge in developing confidence as a therapist. When I first started I kept thinking that any moment now this family I am working with is going to realize I do not know what I am doing.  My relationship with my clinical supervisor became a model for true not knowing. Her raised eyebrows helped me to pause and think about my thinking. There was never a sense of  getting it right or wrong. It was always about curiosity and discovery. These heart to heart conversations became the touchstone for my practice.  Not knowing became a foundation for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The bird’s path, winding far, Is right before you.   Water of the Dokei Gorge, You return to the ocean, I to the mountain. - Hof...