Friday, September 20, 2013

Another Dimension

I have signed on with Bernie Glassman's Zenpeacemakers trip to Rwanda in April 2014. I am excited about going. It has been over 14 years since I last went to Africa. Then it was a trip to St. Nicholas Orphanage in Nairobi, Kenya. The experiences over there have had a profound impact on my life and I will always be grateful for the children there who taught me so much about love, suffering and forgiveness.
Now it is a trip to mark the 20th anniversary of the genocide. Bearing witness to the survivors and their stories of loss and destruction is a primary goal of this trip. It is the opportunity of a lifetime. To sit with those who endured so much more than any of us can imagine is to sit in the midst of all we fear  and all we abhor. From that perspective the power of the human spirit to overcome and continue to move forward  is to know the deepest joy of this life.

1 comment:

  The bird’s path, winding far, Is right before you.   Water of the Dokei Gorge, You return to the ocean, I to the mountain. - Hof...